Thursday, September 29, 2011

Refurbished Memo Board {October Kit: Birds of a Feather Kit Co; Crate Paper: Farmhouse Collection}

The past couple of years, I've been less into altering items and more into scrapbooking actual layouts but when I saw chalkboard paper in this month's kit at Birds of A Feather, I knew that I wanted to make something useful out of it! So I took this unused dust holder (everything in there was 3+ years old): 
and turned it into this:
I wanted the tag to be permanent so I wrote on the chalkboard paper with white pen.
I used cork that I already had on hand. I actually stole it from a wall hanging in my scrappy area...so now I have a new project to replace that wall hanging! I painted/misted the alterable Maya Rd buttons, tied thread through them then hot glued them to thumb tacks.
I inked all of the embellishments in black:



This chalk tray is a drawer pull that has been turned upside down. I simply glued this down with E6000. For the key hooks (see first picture), I bought a pack of plant hangers and painted them black. Then I had my husband drill holes for those.
A close up of the button push pins. I painted two brown, two black and then misted all 4 of the to give a shimmer that isn't really visible in the picture...
I had hoped to get this entered into last week's challenge at The Paper Variety but life got in the way and I didn't get this posted in time! I already have two more posts almost ready to go so check back tomorrow for another project :-)

3 comments:

mustangkayla said...

You did such a fantastic job on this!

Lolis said...

Wow Karen, beautiful love all the details especially the "ESTablished Tag"

Becky said...

Cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuute!